1. Massage - Massage the area gently and firmly. Massage helps to ease pain by applying pressure on the nerve endings, releasing endorphines and enkephalins - the body's natural pain killers, improving blood circulation, stretching muscles and reducing some stress hormone levels.
2. Relaxation, Distraction and Imagery - Focus on the rhythm of your breath; imagine yourself in a serene peaceful place; read a book; watch a movie; listen to soothing music; meditate; do yoga; garden; go walking in a scenic place. Stress is the primary cause of pain and relaxing or distracting yourself allows the stress to leave and with it the pain.
3. Heat and cold - Heat and cold therapy help to temporarily relieve pain. Apply heat - preferably moist heat with heating pads, hot towels and mitts. Taking a hot shower can be extremely therapeutic. Cold can be applied with cold compresses, ice cubes in a towel or plastic bag and cold packs. Do not use heat or cold for more than 15 minutes at a time. Take care to always protect your skin by placing a cloth or towel around the hot or cold pack.
4. Exercises and Positions- Try gentle stretching exercises. For arthritic pain in the hands and fingers, gently try and bring your hand into fist as much as possible and then release. Also try rotating one arm in a full circle and then the other arm. This exercise helps relieve pain in the legs! Certain yoga postures help relieve pain - go to a trained professional for help in this. Also lying on the floor with your legs and feet over a chair is also known to help relieve pain.
5. Herbal supplements - Try using vitamins such as Vitamin E and Vitamin B which are effective pain relievers. Use ginger in your food. It is an anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory. Boswellia / Shallaki is a well known Ayurvedic herb that is considered beneficial in arthritic conditions. Rumalaya Forte and Rumalaya Gel are ayurvedic formulations that incorporate Boswellia, Guggul and other herbs that provide relief in joint conditions.