Menosan Main Ingredients (Per Tablet):
- Ashoka tree (Saraca indica) 130mg - This herb is said to provide youthful energy to women. It is traditionally used in Ayurveda for various feminine
issues. Various uses of Saraca indica had been reported in Charaka Samhita (100 A.D.). Contains phyto-estrogens that help restore hormonal balance and alleviate many menopausal symptoms
In a study published in the Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity journal, it was shown that Saraca indica had potent antioxidant activity. Due to its free radical scavenging activity it also had a protective effect on breast cells.2
- Asparagus / Shatavari / (Asparagus racemosus) 110mg - This herb provides natural phyto-estrogens and supports hormonal balance in women. It is soothing and cooling.
It is a uterine tonic that supports health of female reproductive organs. As per Charak Samhita and Ashtang Hridyam - the two main texts in Ayurveda, Shatavari is the prime herb for female issues. The major active constituents of Asparagus racemosus are saponins (Shatavarins I-IV) that are present in the roots. In animal studies Shatavarin IV has been shown to inhibit core Golgi enzymes transferase in cell free assays and to exhibit immuno-modulation activity against specific T-dependent antigens.3
- Kukkutandatvak bhasma 125mg - Natural calcium sourced from hen's egg shells and processed with herbs. Helps replenish bones with natural calcium and maintains bone density and strength.
- Zahar mohra bhasma 125mg - An ayurvedic mineral composition. It is processed from the Serpentine stone which is primarily composed of magnesium silicate along with other silicates of iron, zinc and manganese. It is processed and purified for several hours in cow's milk. It is used traditionally
to reduce weakness and anemia in women. It helps to provide strength. It also helps to maintain normal blood pressure and is a heart tonic.
- Chebulic Myrobalan / Haritaki / (Terminalia chebula) 110mg - It is an adaptogenic tonic, detoxifying agent and rejuvenator. It helps increase stamina and energy. It promotes general feeling of well-being.
- Country mallow / Bala / (Sida cordifolia) 105mg - This herb provides strength to bones and is used in traditional Ayurvedic preparations as a uterine tonic. It helps to reduce feelings of tiredmess.
Country mallow plant
- Licorice / Yashtimadhu / (Glycyrrhiza glabra) 100mg - This helps in hormonal balance and endocrine support. It is a soothing, cooling, demulcent herb
- Indian pennywort / Mandukaparni / (Centella asiatica) 50mg - It contains various vitamins and minerals and helps slow the aging process. It supports the central nervous system and helps to calm and relax the mind.
Centella asiatica plant
Directions for taking Menosan
1 or 2 capsules twice daily with meals. Allow several weeks for benefits. The use of natural products provides progressive but long-lasting results.
Does Menosan have any side effects?
Menosan is not known to have any side effects if taken as per the prescribed dosage.
The intensity of menopausal symptoms and the length of time that they may last is unique to every woman.
Some women may experience symptoms for a few months while others may have them come and go for years.
- Hot flashes which cause a sudden intense feeling of heat in the body
- Mood swings can occur which can include feelings of irritation and depression
- Women can also feel sudden stress, panic and anxiety
- Sweating at night
- Unexpected weight loss
- Urge to urinate becomes frequent especially at night
- Vaginal dryness
What causes menopause symptoms?
Generally women in their mid 40's undergo hormonal changes. The ovaries slow down and stop producing the hormones estrogen and progesterone. Monthly menstrual cycles become interrupted and then stop.
The reduction in estrogen levels is generally considered the cause of menopause symptoms.
How can herbs help in alleviating menopause symptoms?
Herbs like Ashoka (Saraca indica) and Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus) contain phyto-estrogens which are natural plant based estrogens.
These replenish the depleted estrogen levels in a woman's body. They act as natural selective estrogen receptor modulators (SERMs) and help to restore hormonal balance. When estrogen levels are brought to normal, feelings of general well-being result.
Shatavari, Indian pennywort (Centella Asiatica) and Licorice are considered demulcent and cooling herbs. They help to reduce heat in the body and to prevent sudden temperature increases.
They also prevent sudden drops in estrogen. These actions help to prevent or reduce the intensity and frequency of hot flashes
Indian pennywort also known as Mandukaparni is a well known brain and nervine tonic. It works on the central nervous system to calm and relax the brain and nerves. This helps reduce the mood
swings, irritability and occasional panic attacks associated with menopause. Ashoka also has calming properties which are beneficial to soothe the mind.
While keeping the mind calm, these herbs also help to keep the mind focussed
With the onset of menopause, bones lose their density and osteoporosis can result. The minerals in Menopause which are derived from hen's egg shell and serpentine stone provide natural sources of
calcium and minerals that help bones maintain mass and density. Bala or Country Mallow helps to deposit calcium into bones and strengthens them. Bala provides energy and strength in general
and helps to alleviate feelings of tiredness that are common in menopause symptoms.
Energy and Stamina
Haritaki is a detoxifying herb that helps to stimulate the digestive system. It is also an adaptogenic herb which helps to stabilize physiological functions and to respond to stressors.
It is rejuvenative and revitalizing. Bala which literally means "strength" in Sanskrit also helps to rejuvenate and restore stamina to the body. It is also very beneficial for bones.
Zahar Bohra Bhasma which is a mineral derivative is a nervine, cardiac and liver tonic which also helps to strengthen the body and reduces fatigue
Urinary tract health
Women are susceptible to urinary tract infections during the peri-menopause and menopause period. The herbs and minerals in Menosan help maintain a normal pH balance in the urinary tract and bladder.
This helps to maintain urinary tract health.
Ashoka, Shatavari and Licorice are considered very soothing to the vaginal wall and help to prevent dryness and irritation.
Menosan from Himalaya Herbals
Menosan is from the renowned Himalaya Herbals brand endorsed by over 250,000 doctors worldwide and used by customers in over 60 countries. Himalaya Herbals products have been researched clinically and standardized to guarantee bioequivalence. Bioequivalence refers to ensuring that the product on the market is equivalent to the one on which clinical trials were successfully conducted. Himalaya Herbal Healthcare uses chromatographic fingerprinting, one of the most sophisticated standardization techniques, to ensure consistent quality and performance
Menosan Research and Clinical Studies:
There have been several studies on the efficacy of Menosan.
Ovarian senescence is accompanied by physical changes and psychological changes.
Life stressors, surgical menopause and poor health exacerbate these menopausal
symptoms. Recent studies have cast
doubt on the cardioprotective effects
of HRT, as the combination of HRT
has been shown to lead to increased
risks of CVDs, CVAs, pulmonary
embolism, in addition to increased
risks of vaginal bleeding and breast
cancer. These adverse events have
given a fillip to effective and safer
alternative approaches; and
phytoestrogens are currently heralded
as the potential therapy for estrogendependent
diseases. Menosan is a
polyherbal formulation, which is a
rich source of phytoestrogens and the study* referenced below
was planned to evaluate the
efficacy and safety of Menosan in
postmenopausal syndrome, with
special reference to improvement in
the quality of life
BSO : Bilateral surgical oophorectomy
CVA : Cerebrovascular accident
CVD : Cardiovascular disease
ECG : Electrocardiograph
HERS : Heart and estrogen/progesterone replacement study
HRT : Hormone replacement therapy
HS : Highly significant
LDL : Low density lipoprotein
LDL-C : Low density lipoprotein-cholesterol
NS : Not significant
NYHA : New York Heart Association
PMO : Postmenopausal osteoporosis
QOL : Quality of life
S : Significant
UTI : Urinary tract infection
WHI : Women Health Initiative
WHO : World Health Organization
WHODAS : World health organization disability assessment
WHOQOL : World health organization quality of life
1. Himalaya Herbals Company
*Evaluation of the efficacy and safety of Menosan in the
management of postmenopausal syndrome with special
reference to improvement in the quality of life:
A prospective, double blind, randomized, placebocontrolled,
phase III clinical trial
Uma Goyal, MD Director, Professor and Head
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
Lady Hardinge Medical College &
SSK Hospitals, New Delhi
Shilin Giri, MD
S.A. Kolhapure MD
Senior Medical Advisor
The Himalaya Drug Company
2. Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity. 2015;2015:205360. doi: 10.1155/2015/205360. Epub 2015 Mar 16.
Saraca indica bark extract shows in vitro antioxidant, antibreast cancer activity and does not exhibit toxicological effects.
Yadav NK, Saini KS, Hossain Z, Omer A, Sharma C, Gayen JR, Singh P, Arya KR, Singh RK.
3. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Diseases. 2013 Jun; 3(3): 242–251. doi: 10.1016/S2222-1808(13)60049-3 PMCID: PMC4027291
Plant profile, phytochemistry and pharmacology of Asparagus racemosus (Shatavari): A review
Shashi Alok, Sanjay Kumar Jain, Amita Verma, Mayank Kumar, Alok Mahor, and Monika Sabharwal
Other Products for Female Health