Mentat supports brain function in normal and demanding situations of life. The benefits of taking Mentat daily have been demonstrated in a broad range of cases. Mentat is beneficial to both adults and children.
Mentat Active Ingredients (Per Tablet):
- Thyme leaved gratiola / Bacopa / Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri) 136mg
- Indian pennywort / Mandukaparni (Centella asiatica) 70mg
- Winter Cherry / Ashvagandha (Withania Somnifera) 52mg
- Morning glory / Vishnukrantha (Evolvulus alsinoides) 52mg
- Musk root / Jatamansi(Nardostachys jatamansi) 52mg
- Indian valerian / Tagara(Valeriana wallichii) 50mg
- False Black Pepper / Vidanga(Embelia ribes) 50mg
- Almond / Vatadha(Prunus amygdalus) 50mg
- Sweet Flag / Vacha (Acorus calamus) 42mg
- Chebulic myrobalan / Haritaki(Terminalia chebula) 36mg
- Indian gooseberry / Amalaki (Emblica officinalis) 36mg
- Gulancha tinospora / Guduchi(Tinospora cordifolia) 36mg
- Staff tree / Jyotishmati(Celastrus paniculatus) 32mg
- Trumpet creeper / Shyonaka(Oroxylum indicum) 32mg
- Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri) 80mg
- Ashvagandha (Withania Somnifera) 18mg
- Cow-itch / Kapikachchu (Mucuna pruriens) 18mg
- Cardamom / Ela (Elettaria cardamomum) 18mg
- Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna) 18mg
- Fennel / Shatapushpa (Foeniculum vulgare) 18mg
- Giant potato / Vidari (Ipomoea digitata)18mg
- Salep Orchid / Salabmisri (Orchis mascula)18mg
- Ginger / Srungavera (Zingiber officinale) 14mg
- Beleric myrobalan / Vibhitaki (Terminalia bellerica) 14mg
- Nutmeg / Jatiphalam (Myristica fragrans) 14mg
- Clove / Lavanga (Syzygium aromaticum) 10mg
- Processed Pearl / Muktapishti 3mg
Herbs & Mineral Powders in Mentat
Himalaya Mentat Dosage
1 or 2 tablets twice daily with meals. Allow several weeks for long lasting benefits.
How do the herbs in Mentat promote brain health?
The herbs used in Mentat are a synergistic blend according to ayurvedic knowledge.
- Bacopa/Brahmi is a well researched herb that supports brain health, memory and promotes mental calm. There have been various studies on Bacopa. A 2018 study published in the Current Neuropharmacology journal showed the neuroprotective effects of Bacosides present in Bacopa. 2 Bacosides help to scavenge free radicals, suppress of lipid peroxidation and activate antioxidant enzymes
- Indian pennywort (Centella Asiatica)also known as Gotu kola or Mandukaparni is considered a brain tonic in Ayurveda that revitalizes the nerves and cells in the brain. It is also known for its blood circulation properties.
A 2018 study published in Front Pharmacology indicated that a compound called Asiaticoside present in this herb appeared to prevent human brain cells from dying (apoptosis). It also reduced cell growth inhibition3
- Ashvagandha or Winter cherry is another well known herb that promotes energy yet helps to soothe the mind. A 2018 study showed that Withania somnifera reduced oxidative stress on cells. It also had an ameliorating effect on cognition and mitochondrial functions.4 A meta analysis of 28 studies on Ashvagandha also showed that it
had a beneficial effect on oxidative stress markers (superoxide dismutase, catalase, glutathione peroxidase, glutathione and lipid peroxidation)5
- Morning glory or Dwarf Morning Glory also known as Vishnukrantha is said to be useful in purifying blood and promoting memory powers. In a 2018 comparative study of ayurvedic herbs for the mind, it was found that Evolvulus alsinoides helped protect against neurotoxicity and had significant antioxidant activity. This was attributed to
the plant steroids (stigmasterol and betulinic acid), coumarins (scopoletin) and flavonoids (β-carotene and chlorogenic acid) present in it6
Mentat from Himalaya Herbals
This is from the renowned Himalaya Herbals brand endorsed by over 250,000 doctors worldwide and used by customers in over 60 countries. Himalaya Herbals products have been researched clinically and standardized to guarantee bioequivalence. Bioequivalence refers to ensuring that the product on the market is equivalent to the one on which clinical trials were successfully conducted. Himalaya Herbal Healthcare uses chromatographic fingerprinting, one of the most sophisticated standardization techniques, to ensure consistent quality and performance
Himalaya Mentat Research and Clinical Studies
Mentat has been subjected to various clinical studies and its benefits for maintaining brain health have been documented in several medical journals.
1. Himalaya Herbals Company
2. Current Neuropharmacology 2018 Apr 19. doi: 10.2174/1570159X16666180419123022. [Epub ahead of print]
Insights into the molecular aspects of neuroprotective Bacoside A and Bacopaside I.
Sekhar VC, Viswanathan G, Baby S.
3. Front Pharmacology. 2018 Jan 30;9:28. doi: 10.3389/fphar.2018.00028. eCollection 2018.
Asiaticoside Attenuates Cell Growth Inhibition and Apoptosis Induced by Aβ1-42 via Inhibiting the TLR4/NF-κB Signaling Pathway in Human Brain Microvascular Endothelial Cells.
Song D, Jiang X, Liu Y, Sun Y, Cao S, Zhang Z
4. Metabolic Brain Disease 2018 Apr 18. doi: 10.1007/s11011-018-0234-2. [Epub ahead of print]
Indian Ginseng (Withania somnifera) supplementation ameliorates oxidative stress and mitochondrial dysfunctions in experimental model of stroke.
Sood A1, Mehrotra A, Dhawan DK, Sandhir R.
5. Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology. 2015 Jul;67(7):879-99. doi: 10.1111/jphp.12398. Epub 2015 Apr 1.
Withania somnifera (Ashwagandha) in neurobehavioural disorders induced by brain oxidative stress in rodents: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
Durg S, Dhadde SB, Vandal R, Shivakumar BS, Charan CS.
6. Journal of Ayurveda and Integrative Medicine. 2018 Mar 9. pii: S0975-9476(17)30242-5. doi: 10.1016/j.jaim.2017.08.012. [Epub ahead of print]
Neuropharmacological evaluation on four traditional herbs used as nervine tonic and commonly available as Shankhpushpi in India.
Sethiya NK, Nahata A, Singh PK, Mishra SH.
Other Products for Brain Health