Benefits of Spirulina
- Spirulina primarily builds up the immune system by virtue of its range of B-vitamins. This was proved by the dramatic recoveries of children suffering from radiation at Chernobyl when administered spirulina.
- Spirulina boosts energy levels and reduces fatigue as well as mental and physical stress. Vitamin B12 present in spirulina helps in releasing energy and fighting fatigue.
- The anti-oxidants present in spirulina scavenge free radicals and act as rejuvenants. This shows not only in less fatigue but also healthy glowing skin
- Spirulina provides iron that is easily absorbable which helps optimize the haemoglobin level in red blood cells.
- Spirulina's natural proteins and amino acids fight malnourishment in children and ensure proper growth.
- Chlorophyll in spirulina helps in blood purification, tissue repair and building red blood cells. Gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) helps in cholesterol control and energy utilization. These components cause spirulina to be excellent for heart health and controlling diseases like diabetes and arthritis.
- Zeaxanthin/Lutein in spirulina helps in promoting good eyesight.
Directions for taking Spirulina
Two capsules a day, you may take both the capsules together along with water or fruit juice, preferably at breakfast Noticeable differences can be experienced within 2 to 3 weeks
Spirulina Research and Clinical Studies
Several studies show Spirulina or its extracts can prevent or inhibit cancers in humans and animals. Some common forms of cancer are thought to be a result of damaged cell DNA running amok, causing uncontrolled cell growth. Cellular biologists have defined a system of special enzymes called Endonuclease which repair damaged DNA to keep cells alive and healthy. When these enzymes are deactivated by radiation or toxins, errors in DNA go unrepaired and, cancer may develop. In vitro studies suggest the unique polysaccharides of Spirulina enhance cell nucleus enzyme activity and DNA repair synthesis. This may be why several scientific studies, observing human tobacco users and experimental cancers in animals, report high levels of suppression of several important types of cancer. The subjects were fed either whole Spirulina or treated with its water
In April 1996, scientists from the Laboratory of Viral Pathogenesis, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, and Earthrise Farms, Calipatria, California, announced on-going research, saying "Water extract of Spirulina platensis inhibits HIV-1 replication in human derived T-cell lines and in human peripheral blood mononuclear cells. A concentration of 5-10 µg/ml was found to reduce viral production"
Ayehunie S., Belay A., Hu Y., Baba T., Ruprecht R., 7th IAAA Conference, Knysna, South Africa April 17, 1996. Inhibition of HIV-1 replication by an aqueous extract of Spirulina platensis (Arthrospira platensis).
Spirulina is approved in Russia as a "medicine food" for treating radiation sickness. The Children of Chernobyl suffer radiation poisoning from eating food grown on radioactive soil. Their bone marrow is damaged, rendering them immunodeficient. Radiation damaged bone marrow cannot produce normal red or white blood cells. The children are anemic and suffer from terrible allergic reactions. Children fed just five grams of Spirulina in tablets each day make dramatic recoveries within six weeks. Children who did not take Spirulina remained ill
Evets L.B. et al Grodenski State Medical University, January 15, 1994 Russian Federation Committee of Patents and Trade, Patent Number: (19) RU (11) 2005486 C1 (51) 5 A 61K35/80. Means to Normalize the levels of Immunoglobulin E Using the Food Supplement Spirulina.
Other Products that support Immunity