Western science is increasingly accepting the fact that your state of mind has a lot to do with your physical fitness.
Depression, anxiety and stress invariably lead to the breakdown of the body's immune system and subsequently to various illnesses. In fact many major chronic diseases are linked to stress. Researchers have found that more than 70% of visits to doctors are due to underlying mental health conditions.
As we keep facing various circumstances and trying to cope with them, we sometimes are not even aware of how mentally stressed or depressed we are. The following are some questions to ask yourself which can reveal the state of your mental health.
- Do you feel any interest or pleasure in doing activities?
- Do you feel depressed or hopeless?
- Do you have trouble falling or staying asleep or do you sleep too much?
- Do you feel tired or have very little energy?
- Is your appetite poor or do you find your overeating?
- Do you have trouble focussing on any activity?
- Do you appear lethargic or overactive to other people?
- Do you feel bad about yourself?
These questions are part of a questionnaire administered to guage the depression severity of patients. If you feel you may be persistently depressed, you should inform your doctor who can prescribe a suitable therapy.
Some natural ways to relieve anxiety and stress are:
- Physical activity - It has been found that at least 20 minutes of activity will positively impact the mind and reduce anxiety, distress and depression. This activity can be walking, dancing, doing housework.
- Talk and visit with friends and family. Social interaction cheers the mind.
- Meditation, deep breathing, yoga, tai-chi are various ways to relax the mind
- Vitamins and supplements such as B12, Vitamin D, Bacopa, Ashwagandha promote mental well being.