The liver, the largest organ in the body is also the most important in detoxifying the body of toxins. In fact if the liver shuts down, the body can only survive a couple of days. The liver processes food and medicines absorbed from the digestive tract into forms that are easier to use. It produces energy by storing vitamins, sugar and iron, regulates blood sugar and blood clotting and removes cholesterol, manufactures essential chemicals, hormones and enzymes, detoxifies internal and external toxins and even regenerates its own damaged tissue.
The following are some well known ayurvedic herbal remedies for cleansing, supporting and healing the liver:
1. Drink hot lemon juice in the morning. This is a age-old time tested ayurvedic therapy that helps detoxify not only the liver but also your digestive tract.
2. Triphala which is a blend of three herbs Amla (Indian gooseberry), Haritaki (Chebulic myrobalan) and Vibhitaki (belliric myrobalan) is also a very powerful detoxification product. Amongst its other extremely useful properties, it helps to cleanse the digestive tract. It is also a well known herb to treat liver disorders. It regulates bile secretion and supports liver functions.
3. Karela or Bitter gourd, is used for detoxification, blood purification, liver care and to treat diabetes. It helps to treat dyspepsia, liver dysfunction, jaundice, constipation and worm infestations.
4. Neem (Azhadirachta Indica) is a bitter tonic herb and is a well known detoxifying agent. It cleanses the blood and the liver of toxins and supports the immune system. Neem helps to cure blood morbidity, biliary diseases and skin conditions and ulcers. Neem has been shown to even suppress oral carcinogenic cells. Over 135 compounds of neem have been identified and studied for their benefits.
5. Liv 52 also known as Livercare is an ayurvedic formulation of herbs such as capers, wild chicory, arjuna, black nightshade, negro coffee, yarro and tamarisk. Liv 52 is very useful in detoxifying the liver and healing liver damage caused by alcoholism, cirrhosis and hepatitis. It helps to rapidly eliminate acetaldehyde, prevents the progress of liver disease and helps heal the liver. It improves digestion and absorption.
Liv 52 or LiverCare from Himalaya Herbals is the world's #1 liver support formula. Liv-52 has been approved as an herbal drug for liver in Switzerland by its FDA equivalent. It is believed to be the first multi-herb remedy granted regulatory approval as a drug, which is an outstanding feat for an herbal product.
More information on Triphala for detoxification and cleansing.
Find out about the benefits of Karela or Bitter Melon