Fertility depends on a number of factors with the most important being age and health. However fertility can certainly be boosted by taking some measures aimed at attaining optimum health.
80-85% of couples who use no contraceptive measures achieve conception within twelve months. If a couple has been unable to achieve a pregnancy after one year of unprotected intercourse, they need to be evaluated for possible causes which could include male factors such as low sperm count and female factors such as lack of ovulation and blockage of tubes.
For both women and men, hormones play a major role in the reproductive process. Timely ovulation and monthly cycles in women are affected by hormones such as estrogen and progesterone while for men the luteinizing hormone (LH) and follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) and testosterone affect sperm production.
Certain foods and herbs are known to stimulate production of these hormones and thereby improve fertility.
- 1. Green leafy and cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, spinach, kale and others provide folate and Vitamin B which are considered very useful in improving fertility. Moreover for women who are planning to conceive, it is important to include enough folate in your diet to prevent certain birth defects
- 2. Vitamin E from foods such as nuts, Olive oil and wheat germ is also helpful in improving male and female fertility
- 3. Zinc and Omega-3 oils obtained from seafood such as oysters, tuna and salmon are especially beneficial for male fertility
- 4. It has been shown that women who opt for whole fat milk, ice cream and other dairy products increase their chances of conceiving as opposed to women who consume low fat dairy. However consuming large amounts of dairy can cause weight gain and adversely affect fertility.
- 5. For men with low sperm count and problems with sperm quality or motility, Speman is an ideal herbal supplement. It contains herbs such as Orchis mascula, tribulus terrestris, hygrophilia auriculata and mucuna pruriens that help to increase sperm count, quality and motility. It also helps in problems of erectile dysfunction and ejaculation
- 6. Shatavari is the ideal herb for women. It contains phytoestrogens that help in ovulation and regulating hormones. Shatavari is also said to be a nourishing herb for the female reproductive organs.
- 7. Both men and women should get sufficient calcium from dairy. Vitamin D from the sun or supplements is also essential.
- 8. Both men and women should abstain from alcohol and smoking. Women should abstain from caffeine.